Isotretinoin also known as Accutane is a kind of drug that is referred to as a retinoid. It helps with the reduction in the production of sebum (Excess of facial oil results in severe acne). It helps in maintaining the perfect state of your skin.
Isotretinoin is a gelatin capsule that is made in different dosage forms such as 10mg, 20mg, and 40mg. The capsule composition contains:
· Butyrate hydroxyanisole;
· Edentate disodium;
· Hydrogenated soybean oil flakes;
· Hydrogenated vegetable oil and;
· Soybean oil.
As a Gelatin capsule, Accutane contains parabens and glycerin with the following colorant composition:
· 10 mg [ Titanium dioxide and iron oxide (red)];
· 20 mg [ Titanium dioxide, FD&C Red No. 3 and FD&C Blue No. 1];
· 40 mg [ Titanium dioxide, FD&C Yellow No. 6 and D&C Yellow No. 10 ].
You must ensure that you seek thorough medical advice before you start the use of Accutane. It can result in birth defects which shows its restriction from pregnant women and women who has the potential to give birth to babies in the long run (birth control is advised). The sale of Accutane is expected to be within the United State as it is made to be under iPLEDGE. While on Accutane, users are advised to avoid the intake of things that contain vitamin A.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
Pharmacist’s or doctor’s directive is very important in taking Accutane. You are advised to take the drug as prescribed in relation to the number of dosages and the duration. Take the capsule with an adequate amount of water by swallowing and chewing it. Ensure you abide by the length of days given for drug use. Constant medical checkup on blood and liver must be done in order to know that things are going as they should. The drug is for personal use; don’t share it with someone else.
The following are some of the precautionary measures that must be adhered to when taking Accutane:
· Don’t share the drug with someone else.
· Prescribers must register with iPLEDGE as the wrong prescription can have harmful effects on users.
· Users must keep away from pregnancy.
· It is advisable to take capsules at night to avoid the sensitivity of light.
· If you experience symptoms such as headache, changes in mood and lack of concentration, quickly see your doctor.
· Avoid the interaction of Accutane with other drugs not recommended.
· During and for a month after the use of Accutane, you must keep away from blood and semen donation.
· Every necessary test to be carried out such as urine, blood test, liver function tests must be observed for the required months (first 3-6months).
It is advisable to stop drug usage and see your doctor immediately you start to experience some side effects which can be from allergic reactions or other severe side effects such as:
· Loss of concentration;
· Crying spells;
· Suicide mentality;
· Weakness and nimbleness;
· Dryness of lips, mouth, nose or skin;
· Rash, etc.
Avoid taking the missed dose with your next dose. If you miss your dose, take the drug at the next regular planned time.
Peradventure you take more than the required number of dosage, it may come with the following symptoms:
· Stomach pain;
· Warmth or tingling under the skin;
· Swelling of the lips;
· Loss of balance or coordination.
There are some instructions attached to the use of Accutane. These instructions are essential to be adhered to basically for the prevention of some medical effects. It may result in birth defects that come basically with abnormalities such as:
· Ear abnormalities;
· Eye abnormalities;
· Facial abnormalities;
· Cleft palate;
· CNS abnormalities;
· Cardiovascular abnormalities;
· Thymus gland abnormality;
· Parathyroid hormone deficiency. (It can also lead to death).
Interaction with Other Drugs
Inform your doctor or pharmacist before using other drugs with Accutane. There are drugs that may go in line with the use of Accutane; drugs relating to seizure such as phenytoin; antibiotics like doxycycline, tetracycline, etc. The important thing about it is that let your doctor know before taking such new medications.