What is Cytotec?
Cytotec (misoprostol) is a popular drug that is known to effective for lowering stomach acid as well as safeguard the stomach from infections that can be triggered by NSAID (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug) such as ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, diclofenac, Meloxicam, naproxen, indomethacin, and celecoxib. Cytotec is also effective for preventing stomach ulcers especially for patients using an NSAID or aspirin.
Before you purchase Cytotec, it is important to understand the drug composition to unravel the full benefits of the drug. This drug comes in oral tablets of either 200mcg or 100mcg of misoprostol which is a man-made prostaglandin. The core aim of misoprostol as earlier mentioned is to help mitigate the risks caused by treatment using NSAIDs.
Man-made prostaglandin E analogue which is the parent drug used in Cytotec works to prevent gastric acid secretion. In addition, prostaglandin substantially lowers the degree of fat malabsorption by stimulating the production of duodenal bicarbonate. Cytotec takes approximately 2-3 hours to be absorbed in order to trigger an initial response to the secretion of acid.
Cytotec is indicated for reducing the danger associated with consuming NSAID drugs which can cause complications for patients highly susceptible to conditions such as gastric ulcers. Patients likely to benefit the most from this drug include elderly people, patients with a history of ulcers and those susceptible to gastric ulceration as well as other specified natural medication conditions. Cytotec works best when taken within the same period as NSAID therapy. It is wise to buy this drug from a reputable pharmacy that will provide you with the right information.
Mode of Indication, Dosage and Treatment Duration
Regardless of whether you buy Cytotec over-the-counter or online, it is vital to get the right prescription with the appropriate dosage. Dosage amounts depend on the nature of your medical condition as well as how well you respond to therapy. For instance, users intending to prevent stomach ulcers should take Cytotec orally four times a day after meals and before going to bed. You should use the drug as long as you are still on NSAIDs.
For purposes of inducing labor, Cytotec is usually inserted into the vagina but under your doctor’s instructions. For those intending to terminate a pregnancy using Cytotec, the drug should be taken orally as directed by your doctor. When using misoprostol, it’s wise to stay away from antacids that have magnesium as this can worsen diarrhea. Doctor advice is essential to guide you on the best antacid medication to use with Cytotec.
Dosage forms are presented in various forms depending on a medic’s instructions and product labelling but generally fall into three main categories. All three options below are oral tablets:
- Cytotec 200 mcg (Scored)
- Cytotec 100 mcg
- Generic 200 mcg, 100 mcg
When you order for Cytotec, it is important to beware of the side effects of the drug. When the doctor prescribes this drug for you, they are aware the benefits far outweigh the side effects and is therefore guaranteed to offer you the relief you need. Fortunately, most users on this medication do not report any serious side effects. However, common side effects associated with this medication include:
- Diarrhea which is triggered by misoprostol and usually manifests about a fortnight after you begin medication and may last up to 7 days. Regular intake of fluids during the dosage period will help prevent dehydration. However, if diarrhea persists, you should inform your doctor immediately.
- Nausea, abdominal pains and stomach cramps at times affects those on medication. So long as they’re mild, you have nothing to worry about. Report to a doctor if the symptoms worsen.
Less common symptoms include:
- Heartburn, indigestion and bloating
- Full feeling
- Passing gas
Rare side effects that require immediate medical attention should they manifest include:
- Menstrual complications which include heavy vaginal bleeding, cramps and painful menstruation
- Mental or mood changes
- Slow or irregular heartbeat
- Severe dizziness
- Decreased urination
- Muscle weakness
- Serious allergic reactions such as rashes and swelling or itching of the face, throat, and tongue
Depending on the individual medication, other side effects that are not on the list above can be experienced. Good news is most of these side effects are mild and do not require a doctor checkup since most of them will go away as the body gets used to the medicine. Additionally, your health practitioner can advise on how you can avoid, reduce or effectively manage any side effects.
Contra-Indication / Who Shouldn’t Use Cytotec?
Before beginning medication, consult with your doctor to determine if you have any of the following conditions.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Previous C Section surgery
- Uterus tearing during pregnancy
- High loss of body water
- Surgery on the cervix or uterus
Allergies to Prostaglandins, Prostaglandins E2, Prostaglandins E1, and Prostaglandins F2a should be checked before prescribing Cytotec.
Interaction with Other Drugs
- Use of certain antacids may enhance or accelerate the adverse effects associated with Misoprostol. Antacids with magnesium are considered particularly risky as they increase the chances of diarrhea. Proper management entails avoiding the use of misoprostol together with antacids that have magnesium. This combination should be avoided at all costs. Keep an eye on any side effects such as diarrhea and dehydration and know when to seek medical attention.
- Carbetocin: Avoid combining Misoprostol with Carbetocin as this combination could trigger toxic or adverse effects of Carbetocin.
- Oxytocin: Misoprostol manufacturer discourages continuous use of the drug together with oxytocin as this can trigger adverse effects of oxytocin. There is a likelihood of misoprostol augmenting oxytocin effects, especially when administered within four hours after oxytocin has been initiated.
- Phenylbutazone: When used together with Misoprostol, it may enhance a neurotoxic effect that can cause dizziness, headache and transient diplopia.
The good news is Cytotec is now easily available from a pharmacy near you so you can conveniently make an order. With the above guidelines pertaining to the drug, you should obtain the full benefits as well as know what to expect while on medication.